“Eggplant: The Next Generation” – via Tablet Magazine
1 large eggplant (about 2 lbs.)
5 tablespoons tahini (I prefer Soom brand)
5 tablespoons date jam (silan)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
A few small radishes, sliced thin (or another seasonal vegetable, like tomatoes)
Fresh herbs (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Roast the eggplant over an open flame, like a gas grill, covering the spokes with tin foil, until the skin is charred. When it is roasted all over, put it in the hot oven until it is soft inside and the skin is black and falling off. Peel and leave whole in a strainer over night.
3. The next day, gently squeeze the eggplant to drain any remaining liquid.
4. With a sharp knife carefully slice the eggplant into 6 rounds about an inch thick and arrange neatly on a plate to resemble the original eggplant.
5. Sprinkle the tahini, date jam, and olive oil over the eggplant, finishing with a dash of salt. Dot with Sriracha; garnish with the radish slices and any fresh herbs.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings