How to make a raspberry-filled Polish dessert that’s journeyed across international borders. Via Tablet Magazine.
1 stick unsalted butter or 4 ounces coconut oil
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 to 3 tablespoons good quality raspberry jam
2 to 3 pints fresh raspberries
Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
- Using a food processor with a steel blade, pulse to cream the butter or coconut oil with the sugar, salt, grated lemon rind, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour and the baking powder and process until a ball forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- When you remove the chilled dough, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and press one-third of the dough into the bottom of a 9-inch spring-form pan. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Press another third of the dough on the sides of the pan and spoon the bottom with the raspberry jam. Then spread all the
raspberries on top of the raspberry-smeared crust.
- Roll out the remaining third of the crust and, using a dull knife or pie liner, roll out 1/2-inch strips and make a lattice crust and then, with the remaining dough, make a snake around the edge, attaching the lattice top to the sides. Return to the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. When cool, remove from the pan and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Serves 6 to 8.