“A Dish That’s Perfect for Shauvot – or Breakfast Any Time” via Tablet
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
3 large eggs, divided
2/3 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
Dash of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 lbs. whole milk ricotta or farmers cheese
Fresh berries or cherries, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8-inch round gratin bowl or similar baking pan with some of the butter.
2. Melt the remaining butter and cool slightly. Put the butter, 1 of the eggs, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the milk into a medium bowl and mix well. Gradually fold in the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder and mix well.
3. Mix together the ricotta or farmer cheese with the 2 remaining eggs and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in another bowl.
4. Spoon half the cornmeal mixture on the bottom of the pan, then pour on all the cheese mixture and finish by spooning and spreading the remaining cornmeal mixture on top.
5. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden and set. Serve warm with fresh berries or cherries.
Yield: 6 servings